Do chickens like laying on dog hair?

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
So I posted this in another category cause I'm not sure which one it falls in but I'll put it here too:

So I have a golden retriever, and as you can imagine we groom him a lot of have a lot of fluffy long hair. Would my chickens like laying on his fur in their run? Would it be ok for them if they ate some-or would it get wrapped around intestines? Please let me know what you all think!

I dont' think it would hurt to put some out there, in the nest, and see what they do. If thye toss it out, you know they don't want it

I find that most wild animals are really adaptable, deer, groundhog, rabbits, raccoons whatever. They pretty quickly figure out no dog is attached to that hair. It’s been effective for a while but not in the long term. I even found that true with coyote urine.

What’s been your experience Aart? It sounds really good in theory but I haven’t seen that work for more than a few days, even when I renew the hair..

A few years back I shot 16 rabbits in my garden before they stopped eating my beans as they sprouted. It’s not as if I haven’t tried a few things.

I find that most wild animals are really adaptable, deer, groundhog, rabbits, raccoons whatever. They pretty quickly figure out no dog is attached to that hair. It’s been effective for a while but not in the long term. I even found that true with coyote urine.

What’s been your experience Aart? It sounds really good in theory but I haven’t seen that work for more than a few days, even when I renew the hair..

A few years back I shot 16 rabbits in my garden before they stopped eating my beans as they sprouted. It’s not as if I haven’t tried a few things.
True, it's nominally effective, like most 'deterrents'. ...but a better place for it than a chicken run.

Back
Top Bottom