Do chickens like snow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 11, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Getting ahead of myself already (chicks coming next week) Do chickens like snow? I'm not sure if I should get the run enclosed and secure before winter or wait until Spring. The coop is more than big enough for the 12 to stay indoors. We have a metal roof and I'll have to dig the run out. Also, should I use the red light from the brooder as a heat source when I move them to the coop? I am converting two horse stalls in the barn. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My chickens did not like snow. But, I have a friend with pictures of her chickens running around in the snow. Maybe it was because, last year we got like, a zillion feet of snow! LOL

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Mine wander through the snow sometimes, but prefer the dry ground, & spend alot of time indoors when there's snow on the ground.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Mine detest it, will go out of their way to avoid contact with even the smallest drift of snow into their covered and plastic-enclosed pen.

I admit my chickens are the most spoiled creatures on the planet. They have never been snowed or rained on, nor have had to suffer the chilling blizzards of the long Rocky Mountain winters. They exit their warmed coop into a cocoon that shields them from enduring the slightest discomfort. I even hang a heat lamp in the center of the pen for them to periodically warm themselves under. On sunny winter days, it's as cozy in there as on a day in spring.

Disgusting.

The plastic all come off in spring, but the pen is permanently roofed so no rain ever dampens a single feather. Then their human dutifully wraps the pen back up in plastic before the first snows come.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Ha, you spoil yours too!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't think any of them "like" it. Some are braver than others and will go out in an inch or two of snow if there's no placed cleared for them. Mine would venture out if there was less than an inch. Needless to say I spent a lot of time last winter shoveling clearings and paths for them. I'm so envious of those smart folks who built covered runs...

7. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Part of my run is covered, but it will never hold up to the 5-6 feet of snow we get every year. That is what stays on the ground. We get way more than that in total most years. Needless to say, in about 45-60 days from now they will be locked up for at least 4-5 months. Did I mention -20 to -30 without windchill. Sometimes as low as -40 to -50 but very rarely. I've seen it where it doesn't get above 0 Fahrenheit for a month. Usually in late January to early February. Locals say we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad tobogganing...[​IMG]. All my birds are locally raised and most have been through more than one winter with no heat or insulation. They will have all the food they want, heated waterer and deep litter method for warmth. They will be just a bit crowded for more body heat as well.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My chickens want to know what this "snow" about which you're talking could be. Is it that white stuff one sees on Christmas cards, all over the pretty pine trees?

[​IMG]

9. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Oh man I am so not looking foward to my chickens first winter here. We'll probably get about 60 inches of snow this winter, and my three hens have a small Eglu Go with it's associated small run. If they want to have any room to run around, they will have no choice but to venture out in the snow, unless I can construct some larger covered pen with some fencing and a tarp---and that sure wouldn't look pretty---I'm not too handy about stuff like that---which is why I have a nice pre-built Eglu and not a home-made wooden coop. I'm not looking foward to shovelling a path for them, or hanging out with them outside on cold snowy, windy days. Love my chickens.....hate winter!

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Ditto!!! Is it like, colder rain? White rain? Less rain?

It one time hailed here, and the chickens came out pecking at the hailstones, like "is this food? corn? some kind of. . . treat?"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by