Do Chicken's like snow??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckThis, Mar 29, 2008.

1. CluckThis

CluckThis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Arlington, Washington
    Been snowing for 2 days now on and off. We have 5 to 6 inches on the ground. We opened the coop door last nice when there was only a dusting and only one came out ran once around the coop and when back in. Guess they are smarter than I thought......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Not really. Some of mine will walk thru it, others fly over it. If it's snowing, or just snowed, they don't come out of their coop.

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Depends on the chicken. Some are wimps and hate snow and refuse to go out in it (like mine [​IMG]) and some don't care what it's doing, they like to be out. As long as they can come back in when they want to, they'll be fine.

I like your pictures. The chickens have the same "You certainly don't expect us to go out in this, do you?" look that mine have. That coop is totally buried under snow! Poor chickens! [​IMG]

4. CluckThis

Feb 25, 2008
    Arlington, Washington
    We keep checking them and they seem to be happy hanging out in the coop, we have heat lamps in there still since they are only 8 weeks old and we have been having some really cold night still in the great pacific NW. [​IMG] more than 6 inches on the ground and still snowing.
    Didn't someone say it was now spring!

5. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    some of mine love to eat it.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Last winter mine hated it, this winter they loved it lol

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    It snowed here this year. This is the first snow any of my chickens have seen and some are two years old. I opened my run door thinking the ducks would have a good time in it. The chickens beat the ducks out the door and had a ball.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Usually the first snow of the season, they're scared of it...by the end of the winter they're used to it and don't seem to mind it as much.

9. CluckThis

Feb 25, 2008
    Arlington, Washington
    A few more came out yesterday afternoon but not for long:/
    They didn't seem to like the cold snow on there feet. Here is what we have woken up to this morning![​IMG]

10. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Around here, our chickens dont have much of a choice. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by