Do chickens like to be scratched or pet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elkauhane, Jan 28, 2009.

1. elkauhane

elkauhane New Egg

Dec 9, 2008
    Shoreline, WA
    We have very friendly chickens and they don't mind being held. When we hold them we scratch them around their necks and when we walk by them we occasionally pet their backs or scratch their backs. They don't seem to mind, we just wonder if they like it.

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I would think if they didn't they wouldn't let you do it. Some of mine like it when I pet them, some don't. Only a couple like to held.

3. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    They'd let you know if they didn't. Mine run around to avoid me but this one likes to be petted...on occasion we do.

4. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    my girls love to be patted like a cat [​IMG]

5. Phyll'sFarmFamily

Phyll'sFarmFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Old Church, Virginia
    I would think that they like to be scratched(rubbed) like parrots and other pet birds. I know that my macaw loves it. She really likes when I gently scratch under her wings and the back of her neck.
    She also likes it when you gently move her neck feathers backward.
    Parrot behaviorists and magazine articles also say that they like it. Just take it slowly so that she doesn't get scared.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    many of mine like to have their crops rubbed. maybe it's like us after a thanksgiving dinner. 'Someone rub my belly, I feel bloated. Pass the Alka-Seltzer!' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by