Do chickens like to play in sprinklers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sshavney, Jun 5, 2011.

1. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    It's about 100° degrees out here and the chickens seem very hot (they're hanging out under the coop). Do they like misters or sprinklers?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I think they will, some might not. Set up a system, and see how they behave.

I've heard of other people's chooks liking them, never tried myself.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Mine dont..they run and hide under things so they cant get wet.. [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Just my 2 cents.
    I wouldn't do it, spraying cold water on a hot chicken is a good way to kill them. (Seen it at a show one year, a 4-H kid thought it would be smart to re-wash there chicken before the show and it was hot out about 95* and that poor chicken didn't last 4 minutes.)

Chris

5. paperdragonfarm

paperdragonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Albany
    The shock from ice cold water on an over heated body can kill a bird, and a person! But that doesn't mean the spinklers are a bad idea. I would turn them on and let the area get nice and wet, then let the birds in and see if they don't roll around in the moisture.

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Mine are terrified of the sprinklers. I just hose down some dirt in the shade and they love that. Some people put out wading pans or very shallow pools of water for them.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine won't go into a sprinklers, even if it sprinkled scratch. [​IMG]

Imp

8. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I'm planning to get a mister for my chicks. But I'd make sure they have a way to stay out of the water if they like. What I'm currently using in our heat wave is this.

1 - Puppy feed pan (large diameter but shallow) filled with tap water. My girls drink and wade in it. They seem to like it.
    2 - Frozen water bottle in the waterer to keep water cooler.
    3 - Large Water Bottles wrapped in an old pillow case in their favorite hang out spots under the coop in the heat.

Make sure they have quality shade with ventilation and hopefully able to catch cross breezes.

9. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Mine dont like sprinklers, hence the term "Mad as a wet hen" I guess [​IMG] but...in shady spotsi put out large disposable baking pans fulla water, and next thing i know theyre standing in them.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They are crazy birds aren't they?! Let there be a nice spring rain and they'll all be out roaming the pasture, getting soaked, they don't care. I put a sprinkler in one end of their run on a hot day and they all run and hide. [​IMG] But they do love to wet their feet in puddles on a hot day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by