Do chickens like warmer or cooler temperatures?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zrossk, Dec 21, 2011.

1. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Do chickens like to be warmer like around 60-70 degreesF or cooler around 30-40 degreesF?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    If those are my only choices for temperatures - my girls are certainly out of luck. We live in the Tampa Bay area and I don't think it has been below 60 degrees since my chickens were born in June here. We are looking at 80 for Christmas Day.[​IMG] Actually different breeds do better in different conditions. Obviously I picked breeds that would do well in the heat.

3. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    lol ok thanks for your help.

4. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    From what I've heard they tolerate serious cold much better than they tolerate serious heat, but as to what they like? Hmmm. I haven't noticed if they seem happier at certain temps than others. Being Coastal/Southern CA, we don't get much variation in temperature. Guess my chickens are spoiled! [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Chickens like cold weather better they wear a down jacket.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm not sure why you're asking...lol. Mine seem to enjoy (based on amount of walking/pecking about, dustbathing, sunbathing, generally content behaviors) temps. in the 50s, 60s, 70s. Activity levels seem about the same in the 80s as long as humidity is low. I see a difference in their behaviors (some hunching down, tucking necks in, less activity - not ranging as far) when temps are in the 40s and lower. Temps in the high 80s (w/high humidity) and in the 90s and higher bring panting, extending the wings, less movement.

7. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. hickchick55

hickchick55 Chillin' With My Peeps

If I had to guess, i would say that mine like it best about 50- 60 but are perfectly fine at 20. We have had a remarkably snow- free winter and that helps- they can still get around everywhere. 3 of my hens are large New Hampshires and the others are ASA Browns and they seem very cold tolerant. The only time I have seen them really stressed out by the weather was one summer night when it just would not cool down at all. I feel the same way.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I suspect 70's are optimal. Lower, they gravitate towards sunny locations protected from wind. Higher, they seem to spend more time in shade. Smaller birds prefer warmer than larger birds do.

10. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I live in the Adirondacks, and my flock are happiest when it's in the teens. 15 degrees and they are all standing around outside roosting in the open air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by