Do chickens like water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by desertgirl, Apr 30, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I live in the desert, and it can get pretty warm in the summers. I know the dog loves his little splashy pool in the summer-should I put a very shallow pool (read: drown proof) out in the run for the girls this summer? Would they even use it?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I asked a similar question in the coops and runs area. What had been suggested was to use a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) for a "pool" to walk through and to use frozen 2 liter bottles (or in my case 1 gallon jugs) of frozen water to give them areas to cool down in.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mine don't or wouldn't.... They come down after the rain while there are puddles in the run and they take off back inside. They are not too fond of being wet. Just not a chicken thing.... so I got ducks for wet entertainment!!! [​IMG]

4. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Hmm. Mine love to play in the rain and mud, esp. my EEs. They come in drenched and happy![​IMG]

5. stabley1991

stabley1991 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    My chickens love standing out in the rain. Although i read that silky chikens aren't supposed to like being wet and muddy, but they seem to enjoy it.

6. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    just be careful.. my brother had a broody that took her babies in one, and the babies drowned several years ago, he said... [​IMG]

7. Forgotten Amber

Forgotten Amber Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    New Hampshire
    A good way to tell if your chicks may like water is the tub. I put my little pullets in the tub with an inch or two of water and they didn't seem to mind it and actually seemed to enjoy it. At least you would have some idea of how they might react.

Amber

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Quote:I get the cookie sheeet, but what do you do with the frozen water?[​IMG]

9. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    You put some straw around it and it will help keep them cooler. They will lay down on or around it to cool off.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Ah! I get it. I think I will definitely try that.

(Thanks!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by