Do Chickens Love? I think So!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gonzo, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Do your chicken love you as much as you love them? I think they do. I think they're smarter than what they're given credit for. We have several chickens, and they run around in our back yard all day. When our 8 yr old comes home from school he can't get out there with them soon enough, and the chickens all run to him, and the roo's crow as if to say hello! Maybe it's true, maybe its not, but I prefer to think chickens are capable of love just as a dog or a cat loves there owner... Any thoughts?

2. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    My chicks are only 2 1/2 weeks old, but when I go to the brooder and my little BR comes running and looks up at me waiting for my hand so she can jump on... no one can tell me that she doesn't love me!

3. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Yes I believe they do. I have a BO hen that comes up to me and begs to be held. When I pick her up she nuzzles her neck on my shoulder like she hugs me. I love her very much.

Karen

4. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm so glad I'm not alone! I think whoever said they are dumb and don't love has never had the joy of owning a chicken!

5. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    They love to see me or anyone with treats!

6. miche

miche Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Is it bad that we love our chickens AND think they're dumb? At least our BO, she's the cuddler and the one we sometimes call Anna Nicole Smith. Truely the "simplest" of our flock.

The hens run after me and I typically have treats. I like to think they love me for my singing . . .

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I love the Anna Nichole Smith! Too Funny! [​IMG]

8. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I think they love the fact that I'm a walking treat dispenser..!

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    They love. Your observations and instincts are correct. Whenever my sweet roo BJ lost a hen dear to him, he became incredibly depressed and mourned mightily. Never left his Betty's side when she was ill. Wailed the most heartwrenching wail when his dear Annie died suddenly of a heart attack. Gives selflessly all the time. They love.
    JJ

10. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Quote:[​IMG] How Sweet & Sad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by