Do chickens molt at around 13/ 14 weeks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Half-a-dozen, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    finding lots of feathers under the roost.... [​IMG] they are about 13/ 14 weeks old now....

2. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    They will keep getting in larger feathers as they grow, losing the smaller....but I don't know if thats considered a molt...they are so cute when the feathers are small....I tried to save some but they kept getting lost and swept up!

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i need to know to my 12 week old babies(almost 13) are shedding feathers everywhere!!!! its crazy is this normal?

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    under the roost of my 14 and 15 week old delawares there are feathers everywhere. I believe it is normal because none of them are bald they are just getting bigger feathers.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It is normal. As chicks grow they will molt several times. Some will do a few feathers at a time and at other times they will have naked patches.

They should do a final molt into adult feathers at 4-7 months old, depending on the breed. Then they do the regular yearly molting that all adult chickens do.

Matt

6. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    ok well I guess it is normal or common at least if others are experiencing the pile of feathers under the roost! Thanks.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by