Do Chickens Nap Standing Up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Dec 5, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have a White Rock that seems to be a bit sleepy... she is still very active, eating well (she is the aggressive one during feeding time), pooping well. She will just be standing there and all of a sudden "drift off"- sometimes sitting, sometimes standing (on one or two legs). Is this normal? Her vent looks clean, Her feathers are nice and glossy, her eyes look clean, no nasal discharge, no worms. Am I worrying too much?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    One of our roosters will nap balancing on one foot.

We've also had hens that look dead, laying stretched out and limp and they're just napping.

Odd birds. [​IMG]

3. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Some of mine occasionally sleep standing up. Power nap? Most hunker down and put their head under some feathers above the wing.

4. Mr Grandcanyon

Mr Grandcanyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    St. Johns, AZ
    My Rooster, Samson, does a power nap on his feet rather frequently.. At first I was worried but now just accept it. If everything else seems fine... ALL is probably fine:)

Joe

5. chickensnax

chickensnax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    south Texas
    Why not? We nap. My kitties, dogs and horse all nap. I could see how chickies might need a nap after a couple of hours hard scratching.

6. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    We have one that does that too. She falls asleep standing up all the time. I really thought something was wrong with her when we first got her, but she appears to be fine. Silly girl.

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I've caught a couple hens napping standing up before with one leg up, kinda weird, but hey if they are comfy enough to nap in that position why not. :-D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by