Do chickens need access to water ALL the time?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by heiditam, Aug 28, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Here is my Q...

My set up involves a coop and then they will be free ranging(still debating a tractor, electric netting, or just totally free).

I plan on leaving water outside where they range, very close to coop, but outside. They will only be in coop from the time they want to go in there to roost, over night when they sleep, and then I will let them out around 9AM(hoping that gives them enough time to lay the morning egg.) So, from the time they wake up, until 9AM-is it necessary that they have water in there?

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My short answer is yes, they do.

Thinking of my bird's habits...they are already awake and moving around the coop when I go out in the morning around 6:15 or 6:30. If my birds didn't have coop water and I didn't let them out until 9, they would be without anything to drink for about 2 1/2 hours. Sure wouldn't want to take the risk of them dehydrating or even being just plain thirsty.

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Got to thinking after posting my answer...actually they would go longer than 2 1/2 hours. They go into the coop for the night around 8:30 this time of year so by the time I let them out around 6:30, that's actually 10 hours inside.

To me, that seems like it would be a long time for them to do without water. I know I'm thirsty by the time I get up in the morning [​IMG]

4. jknox1982

jknox1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Muscle Shoals AL
    my hens have water available all the time. by the time i get in there in the morning to say hello most of the water is gone.
    its a good idea to get them watered all the time.

good luck
    Jenn

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you are planning on keeping your hens in the coop until they have laid their eggs you will need to keep them in until at least noon. I have actually gathered just laid eggs at 4 pm.

Laying hens MUST have water at all times. Dehydration will affect egg production in many ways.

6. drmusic

drmusic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Sterlington LA
    With very few exceptions, all animals need access to water at all times. They might not drink as much during this time but they need access. I don't know how many birds you have, but even a small drinker might do the trick... hang a bottle or two equipped with drinking nipples in the coop.

7. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    My girls have access to water 24/7 in and out of there coop and run and in a few places on the property while free ranging. People say chickens are not active during the night I have proven that as false my girls are moving around, drinking and eating during the night when it is pitch black out aswell as during the day so I say yes they need water all the time.

8. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Thank you all-going to trouble shoot a way to get water in there without it being leaky! :) I was hoping girls would not lay that late-sounds like I will have free range eggs outside if they do! :/

9. dstinett

dstinett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Jefferson, TX
    My free rangers do not have water in the coop. When they come out in the morning they always eat before drinking. Does not seem to effect egg production

10. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    What time do you let them out? :) Do they return to coop to lay eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by