Do Chickens Need To Be Trained To Roost Inside Coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Uncle Marc, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    We are planning out coop with an automatic door to the covered run/yard. Do I need to worry that my chickens won't go inside on their own and may get locked out?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    What I have found is that your chickens may need a couple of days to learn where they are supposed to roost. I have had to give a number of my younger flock members lessons for the first day or so. The last batch of chicks took months before they figured it out. So just make sure that the chickens are getting in for the first few day, and it should be no problem after that.

3. fenceman48

fenceman48 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Senoia, Ga
    I bought some 4 month old RIR's & built a coop with an automatic door. I only kept them in there for 2 days. On the third day, I let them out about 2 hours before dark. They harried around, ate a little, drank a little, & did their chicken thing. About 30 minutes before dark, they headed back toward the coop, & one by one jumped on the ladder & went in. The last one, ADHD, panicked a little, but made it. 45 minutes later, the door closed. For 5 weeks now, all have made it in in plenty of time.

4. KnittingKnutty

KnittingKnutty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Mine didn't go in the house the first night but then after, every night right before dark they just went in. Then I didn't put my Roosting poles up for a week , it took them another day or two to realize they were there. I am new to the chicken thing too. It's crazy how much I worry about those dang birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by