Do chickens peck/eat weatherstripping?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vwap, Sep 12, 2012.

1. vwap

vwap Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    So it sounds like some chickens will peck at caulk, and some won't. Some will peck at insulation, and some won't.

... what about weatherstripping? I'm thinking about using some combination of foam weatherstripping and rubber weatherstripping, and if I do, some of it would end up being exposed to the interior of the coop. Do they peck at anything, or will the rubber/foam be OK?

Thanks!

2. HotelChicka

HotelChicka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2012
    I had a hole on the side of my coop that was dry rotted. We painted over it, thinking they would leave it alone.....paint has got to taste yucky right, but nope, and now its three times bigger. I think once they start, they dont stop. But its worth a try just to see if it might work :)

3. kellanv

kellanv Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    From what i've noticed they will peck at anything that contrasts with the environment, that is shiny, or red. The point at which they KEEP pecking at it is if they are getting somewhere such as pulling insulation out, or pulling a bead of caulking up and eating it. I caulked quite a bit of our coop but painted over it to reduce the contrast. They peck but its not like they get a grip on the caulking itself anyway. As far as weatherstripping, if it is tough they will probably peck but quickly leave it alone.

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    We filled in cracks around lower walls of coop using the cans of spray foam. It filled gaps in nicely and dried hard as a brick. Didn't take long for the chickens to discover it and eventually pecked it off the walls.

While we were spraying a section on one wall I did an experiment by covering the foam with pine shavings from the floor. Shavings stuck to it and I sort of pressed more into the wet foam to cover it up. The chickens have yet to eat that section!

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine pecked chunks out of the foam insulation around the air conditioner line. They didn't have access to it full-time but with ten of them crowding around, they made quick work of it. There was water dripping from humid air being chilled and it was dripping close to the foam so I think the first peck was an accident. Once they got going, though... I extended the drain line so it dripped a good foot away from the foam, replaced the foam, and wrapped the new one in silver duct tape. Shiny, yes, but they couldn't get bits off anymore and quickly lost interest.

I'd have to agree with the poster who suggested making it blend in to keep them from going after it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  6. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    I was going to post the same question today! how funny! I almost bought some foam weather stripping last night, but I put it back on the shelf. Got to think this on through....I need something to block the draft around the henhouse door....(not the pop door)........hmmmmm...? Any ideas?~Beulah

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    Yes they do ...or mine did ...took them a while to figure out ...but if they can reach it, they'll peck at it. silly birds.

8. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

That "Foam in a Can" insulation works well and dries very hard. It's the only insulatilon that my chickens can't seem to get a grip on. They'll eat foam insulation board and rollout insulation all day. They especially love packing peanuts.

9. harleyguy927

harleyguy927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    burley, idaho
    Ya, chickens will peck at anything that peaks their interest. The way my coop is built, they can't get at the weather stripping. You might try giving them some sort of toy to keep them entertained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by