Do chickens play with toys?

Sarahbethk

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
It's really strange for me to have an animal who doesn't really seem to 'play.' Every pet I have ever owned did some sort of play. Horses, goats, dogs, cats, parakeets.... etc.. So, do you consider chickens 'playful'?

Oh yes!

Playful indeed!

Tie a head of cabbage or lettuce up and hang it where the chickens can peck at it. They go crazy!
ya.gif

Last edited:
Maybe not as much as a dog or cat, but yes, they will play. I've read of several instances on here. Bird toys, mirrors, short roosts, platforms to hop onto, hanging foods like suet or a head of cabbage, come to mind. A lone chick will cuddle up to a small stuffed animal. They will peck at most anything out of curiosity.

With my first two ladies in town, I had one of those dog ball thingies that expel treats. It was before the KONG ideas, but I would fill it full of B.O.S.S. and they learned to kick it around to get the sunflowere seeds out.

They had a great time with it,and it was huge for them! Took two weeks to figure it out but then heaven forbid if I didnt fill it regular like, then I was a bad momma!

My birds have a thing for food items not really toys. If you grow your own sunflowers and bottle necked gourds you can tie those up to make them workout. I have a dogberry bush in my layer pen that is entertaining and yaupons growing wild everywhere that produce lots of delicious high jumping rewards.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom