Do chickens play with toys?....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, May 31, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I was wondering if there are any things you guys use?...like maybe some types of bird toys or homemade things?..i was thinking espically for the winter time or when its raining when they wont be outside as much...thanks, .wendy

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've never done this, but I've heard of people hanging a head of lettuce up for them to peck at. The lettuce will swing around like a ball, making it harder to peck, and keeping them busy longer.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Chickens are only MOTIVATED by food, any toy or activity would need to involve food [​IMG] I don't think they'd play with something just to play!

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good idea...[​IMG]..i'll be using that this summer!..thanks,Wendy

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    wildsky..i wonder..you ever see those bird toys..made of wood..or strong plastic..and you put a nut or treat in them and the parrot has to get the treat out/..um..think they would use that...put a meal worm in it or something..[​IMG]..Wendy

6. calee

calee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate, SC
    Our chicks have been pecking at and knocking around an old cockatiel toy we have in the big cage that we've been using as a brooder. They're chicks, though. They peck at and knock around their own poop... [​IMG]

7. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    our chickens go for bread

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    all good ideas!...thanks..if you guys have any more, keep them coming...thanks, Wendy

9. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens even as chicks, loved rubber cat toys, balls with bells, and mirrors!

10. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

I have a few toys/mirrors at the bottom of a chicken run -- some of the chickens ignore them, and some interact with them -- the blue cochin (Cloudy) likes to ring the bell of one toy - the gold laced wyandotte (Gracie) likes to look at the birdie in the mirror -- I introduced toys early on by placing them in their brooder, and I kept them in their environment when they moved outdoors. [​IMG]

Hard to know if they are "playing" as opposed to just pecking at a toy because it is there, if you will. The one thing I would say is that these 2 birds in particular return to the toys fairly often --so they must consider it reinforcing at some level - [​IMG] here is a pic of Gracie looking at the birdie in the mirror. *such* a good looking bird! *lol*

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by