Do chickens play?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylviaanne, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have Prince in the house, he's the one who disappeared for 6 days. He's about 5 -5 1/2 months old. I have a recliner and take my shoes off when I am sitting in it. Prince has been coming up and biting at my toes. At first I think I was more startled than hurt but he does peck pretty hard. Usually, I see him coming or sneaking toward me and raise my feet and tell him not to bite me. Tonight, one time I missed him and he pecked me but I don't know if he modified how hard he was pecking or if he expected to miss me and didn't peck me hard.

So, I got to wondering if anyone has chickens that are playful toward humans?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. maddiep2000

maddiep2000 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    I have chickens that will jump on you and fall asleep, jump onto my back and shoulders, run to our fridges for food and will run and jump on your lap for hugs. I find it cute! :D

3. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    He won't jump up on me, his mother is a Cornish Cross so he is heavy and I think he gets off balance when he jumps.

He pecked at me again after my first post, I knew he was there but he didn't seem like he was interested in my toes so I wasn't paying attention but he was. LOL He didn't peck hard again. I think he might be playing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. jgfetter

jgfetter Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Galena Ohio
    I have a chicken that will get on my sons shoulder and clean his hair for him. :lau

5. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    You walk under the trees here and you would wish for a chicken on each shoulder. LOL We have seed ticks and for some reason the chickens aren't getting them. My guineas are free ranging now so maybe we won't have falling ticks much longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by