Do chickens recognize size difference?

SnazzyChicky

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2019
I just got two blue silkie bantam chicks. My current flock are all standard size hens, sex links, production reds, barred rock, and light brahmahs. The barred rock and brahmas were my second set of chicks I raised and I had no issues intergrading them with my first flock which are the sex links and reds. My question is do chickens recognize size difference and will they pick on the silkies? I was thinking about getting a standard size breed of chick to raise with the silkies but not sure if this would even matter.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1587166646229.jpg
    FB_IMG_1587166646229.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200417_155928.jpg
    IMG_20200417_155928.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 2
In my experience silkies or other bantams raised in conjunction with large fowl generally make their place and do well. On the other hand integrating silkies into an established large fowl flock can be very difficult. They are smaller, they look 'different', and are generally mild tempered - chicken society is frequently cruel.

If need be I will make a separate coop for them and let them roam the smaller yard and the others can roam the pasture. I think I will try to get another chick of a large breed to raise with them maybe it'll help. I've raised bantams before but I never had both bantams and large fowl in the same flock together.

Back
Top Bottom