Do chickens remember the sounds of a deceased flock mate?

Chookchicken

Fluffiest In The Flock
Dec 4, 2020
I’ve have been wondering this question for a long while and have yet to find anything on this topic.

If I were to play the sounds of a deceased chickens clucks will they remember them? If so, how long will they remember them for? Does it make them grieve all over again? Or does it bring them joy? Has anyone ever tried this before?

This concept of recalling things after they are no longer visible is called "object permanence", and most species do possess it to some degree. Except pigeons. No surprise there.

You can test this with your chickens by showing them some meal worms in your palm, then close your hand over them, and your chickens will still know they're in your hand and haven't somehow mysteriously disappeared. Good luck, by the way, in having your poor hand survive the experiment. Chickens can also recall individual faces for up to one year.

However, whether this ability extends to sound is not known, but shaking a can of scratch will surely get a reaction from chickens. So who knows if they will respond to a recording of a lost mate.

As if you separate chickens that were raised together, and later try and put them back together it is often a pretty big fight, I don't think it will either bring them joy or comfort. It might disturb or upset them to hear a chicken they cannot see.

But you could try it, if you want and video their reaction.

Mrs K

As if you separate chickens that were raised together, and later try and put them back together it is often a pretty big fight, I don't think it will either bring them joy or comfort. It might disturb or upset them to hear a chicken they cannot see.

But you could try it, if you want and video their reaction.

Mrs K
I am very interested about what would happen, but I am also worried about upsetting them. I think it would be a similar reaction to the time my friend played techno chicken to them, interest and then freak out.

I know some of my chickens know that even though they can’t see something it’s still there. Often when I’m training them I’ll have some mealworms in my hand and to stop them from falling out often I’ll have it closed, most still know it’s there.

If I decide to try it I’ll make sure to video it.

Back
Top Bottom