Do chickens salivate over treats?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bird_brain_scientist, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    One of my favourite chicken activities is to keep some scratch or peanuts in my closed palm, sit in a chair in the backyard, and dose out the treats when my hens sit still in my lap as I stroke their backs. The girls get pretty excited when they realize this activity is taking place and they all gather round waiting for their turn.

Now, sometimes while they're waiting the girls will kind of flick their heads and I'll get a little splash of saliva (or something) on me. Is it safe to assume they are salivating over the prospect of treats? I assume they must have saliva and salivation, since they have little tongues through which they sweat. Is that true?

On the other hand, I'll get a similar splash if they've had their beaks in something dusty and sneeze on me...

2. That's an interesting question. It could just be water from a drink they just took, or it could be saliva. I thing they do salivate to break down food like we do, but I could be wrong.

I'm interested to hear what other people have to say.

3. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    I'll try again - anyone have any ideas about this?

4. FunkyFaith

FunkyFaith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    I was wondering about this, because for an 8th grade science experiment I want to test the Pavlov's dog experiment on chickens. But I'm not sure if they even salivate over treats[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by