do chickens sneeze---if so is this bad?

chicks4fun

Songster
14 Years
May 11, 2009
Frederick County MD
My daughter purchased two hens at a chicken swap. I put them in a separate coop. One hen is making a funny sound, kinda like a sneeze. I thought it odd. She is a black sex-link.
I wasn't too worried but I kept them in a coop/tractor. It is not perfect but it is better than being in the coop together all the time.
Now one of my four month old pullets started sneezing today. Or that is kinda what it sounds like.
Does anyone know if I should be worried?
I am worried.

Mine sneeze every once in a while, I gave them some antibiotics for about a week mixed in everyone's water and they sneezed less. I just started putting Apple cider vinegar in there water because I don't want to give them too much antibiotics and it is hot here. I have heard that they sometime sneeze because something is stuck in there vent and also with respiratory illnesses. You might look and make sure there vents are clear and don't have any drainage. Mine did have some clear drainage when I gave them the antibodies. That is all I know but if anyone else has any more ideas please share. Also is there a chance they sneeze to dust in the air?

Last edited:
Well it is dry here so they may have kicked up extra dust when bathing. I will check her vent. Only two are sneezing and one is new here so it worried me. I hope it's just dust.
What antibiotics did you use?

Duramycin-10, I have a bag of it in powder form. The lady at the store told me to use 1/8th of a tsp per gallon and that I might add some sugar to help with taste. I also still have mine on medicated feed.

Duramycin-10, I have a bag of it in powder form. The lady at the store told me to use 1/8th of a tsp per gallon and that I might add some sugar to help with taste. I also still have mine on medicated feed.
Too bad you are on the other side of the country or I'd buy some from you. A whole bag when you only need 1/8 tsp sounds like a lot.
wink.png

I have some medicated feed but since they were getting closer to laying age I took them off. I thought that was more for Cocci but then I am still learning. I will look into the Duramycin-10. I have a friend who is a vet, not chicken but she still will help me sort thru meds---so I will ask her too. I have some Sulmet but I don't know it would help my hen. Time to read lots.
thanks again for the info

I got it at the Murdock's (feed store) for like $3 or $4 and it is like maybe 1/4 a pound, if you were near me I would give it to you. You might look around your area for a feed store, maybe one that sells chicks and they should have it or something similar.

I got it at the Murdock's (feed store) for like $3 or $4 and it is like maybe 1/4 a pound, if you were near me I would give it to you. You might look around your area for a feed store, maybe one that sells chicks and they should have it or something similar.

thanks---will do

I put something in it to increase the electrolytes, you can use save a chick but that stuff goes bad after one day or the apple cider vinegar(ACV) one with the mother would be best if they are sick.

PS. if you can't find that stuff pet-co has a different antibiotic but it should work as well just expensive, $10 for a little bottle.

Last edited:
I put something in it to increase the electrolytes, you can use save a chick but that stuff goes bad after one day or the apple cider vinegar(ACV) one with the mother would be best if they are sick. PS. if you can't find that stuff pet-co has a different antibiotic but it should work as well just expensive, $10 for a little bottle.
I have been putting out the electrolytes---- but that is because it's been incredibly hot. I have some acv (braggs) and I do use it in their water. I also ferment some grains for them too. None of that will work like an antibiotic if that is what she needs.
thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom