Do chickens sneeze?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferC, May 8, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    My oldest chicken has been making a "Pfst" sounds now and again for the past few days. I assumed at first she was spitting-like a cat, but now I wonder what is it or what it means. Is it a sneeze?

Does anyone know?

2. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    By the way- she does not seem sick. The only thing is another one of my babies did it once today, and now I don't know if she's learning it from the older one - or what?

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

mine sometimes sneeze but if it's constant I would worry.

4. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    OK. My other question is- do chickens spit? I don't mean produce sputum, I mean do they make a "Pfst" sound now and again just randomly?

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    my chicks sneeze too every now and then. I think its from dust or bedding getting into their noses

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I asked this question a week or so ago. I was watching my chicks in their run and some of them started sneezing. I found out that they can get dust in their noses from scratching around in the dirt and it can make them sneeze! She's probably fine. Just keep an eye on her. If you don't see any runny nose or hear a rattling noise when she breaths, it's probably just the dust! [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes the can sneeze...mine do it every now and again and they all do it after the have a scratch fest in the brooder. Shavings dust gets up their nose. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by