Do chickens sneeze?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by downtownjb80, Sep 13, 2011.

1. downtownjb80

downtownjb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe
    One of my hens today made 4 or 5 very loud high pitched squeaks. It was like she was sneezing? Is it sneezing?

2. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    When my chickens sneeze it sounds exactly like a sneeze, not a squeak.

3. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    One of my chickens sneezes regularly and it always sounds exactly like a sneeze. But then....people make all different kinds of sneezing sounds so I guess your chicken could squeak when she sneezes!

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Mine sounds just like that. The only one that normally sneezes is my poor debeaked girl. [​IMG]

5. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    When my chickens sneeze it is more of the high pitched squeak...but it still sounds "sneeze-like". It is adorable.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got a few that occasionally drink too quickly or get a piece of food stuck in their beak that will sneeze. You should probably watch that bird, though, because if it continues, you may have a respiratory issue going on (hope that's NOT the case, though!).

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I have one EE that sneezes all the time when she's eating layer pellets. I think she gets the dust up her nose when she stuff her head in the feed bowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by