do chickens sneeze?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cortner1195, Oct 17, 2013.

1. cortner1195

cortner1195 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2012
    I came home tonight and let the chickens out for free range time. One of my EE's is making noise each time she exhales, and makes a delicate suppressed sneeze sound. She just started laying in the last week or so. She layed an egg today, and is out and about with her usual cohorts, acting normally otherwise. I should say that a few weeks ago one of the other chickens picked at her, and plucked all but two of her tail feathers. Should I be concerned? Could this be contagious?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, chickens sneeze. Sometimes they sneeze when they inhale dust or water (like when eating dusty food or drinking too deeply); other times they sneeze because they are sick with a respiratory disease. And sometimes they sneeze for no obvious reason. I would observe your sneezing EE closely for the next few days for any other symptoms, and treat if necessary.

3. cortner1195

Jun 3, 2012
    Just went down to lock up the coop. My girl is still making noise, but it seems vocal. No sneezing while I was there. Still confused and worried.

4. cortner1195

Jun 3, 2012
    Thank you, watch and wring hands. Will do. I will report if a runny nose, or other symptoms develop.

5. cortner1195

Jun 3, 2012
    Moose seems better today. She was still making noise with her breathing this morning. This afternoon there doesn't seem to be any sneezing, or noise. I am super glad she is doing better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by