do chickens snore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tasha82, Aug 20, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    one of my chickens(male) has been making somefunky noises today vbeen really worried about him,even wrote a post with a video of the noise hes making on here,well the illnessbit,hesfinally settled down in his shed with the rest ,but hes making like raspy snoring noises,do chickens do this,??one of my others is making snoring noises to,just his is different more raspy.x

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

some chickens do snore

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    We checked on ours the other night and I would swear they were...
    Hope someone will post something to help you out with this...
    Hopefully your boy is not coming down with something...
    Good luck...

4. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:thankyou,i so hope so,our not so lovely neighbours sprayed aload of weedkillers on my vegs and downt eh fence between us even tho i hosed it all down straight aweay imworried he may have eaten some,x

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Oh goodness mine do lol

I go out after they are roosted for the night and you can hear several of them sounding like Big Bird "ZZ-zz-zz-zz-zz-zz" A few bok quietly in their sleep as well. I thought they were awake, but no, they are sound asleep when they do this.

So yes, some do snore, some talk in their sleep, and I had a few fall off the roost in their sleep. I think they had a chicken nightmare or something...they sprang straight up from a dead sleep doing the alarm call lol I about died when i saw that. Over 8 years, i have seen them do that 3 times so it is not a common occurrence.

The snoring tho? Every night.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by