Do chickens stop laying in the heat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingdogs, Jul 10, 2010.

1. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Do chickens stop laying in the heat? It recently warmed up quite a bit here, at least 10-15 degrees.

I suspect egg eating .......

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm not sure about them not laying in the heat, although some people have said that theirs stop. No one can stand this awful heat, and I suppose our girls don't like it either! [​IMG]

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I keep expecting them to slow down.but so far they have not. We have been running in the high 90's all week.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yes, many chickens will slow their laying considerably in the heat if not stop all together.

5. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Mine slowed down when it got to be 95-98. It has been a little cooler 91-94 and they have p/u slightly.

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am so glad someone asked this question...I live in Va. and it's over a 100 a few days and I was getting 12-16 eggs a day and suddenly I dropped to 1-6....I thought a snake was getting them but a snake would not eat that many eggs for a week straight....so then I thought maybe someone is coming in during the day when I am at work and raiding my hen houses...so I was off one day and kept a constant check and still only 4 eggs......

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto.

8. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    I think it depends on the breed. I have Buff Orp. I think the bigger the chicken the longer they need to cool off. My take most of the night even with a fan. and we have been in the 90's all. I have 8 girls that should lay an egg and yesterday I only got ONE [​IMG] Hopefully today with be better for them as it is maybe only going to be in the mid 70's to low 80's

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  9. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Half my flock ARE buff orpington and the only eggs we got this week are my other breed (RIR). I also have two orloffs but they are broody right now. But the rest of them are not acting broody.

10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Maybe depends on the breed? I get about 6 eggs a day sometimes 7 and it's pretty hot here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by