Do chickens usually lay in the morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Percysmom, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have been getting an egg from Petunia almost every day now but she lays at all different times. I thought chickens laid eggs in the morning.

2. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Mine lay at different times during the day...even a single hen will lay sometimes early morning, sometimes late afternoon, or whenever the mood strikes... [​IMG]

3. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Think I read somewhere it takes a bit longer than 24 hours for a hen to produce an egg...25 or 26 maybe?? which means that she will lay a bit later each day. And they do skip days which can "reset" their timing.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It takes a hen about 26 hours to "build" an egg. 19 hours for just the shell!

So, if a hen lays an egg around 8 a.m., the next egg won't be laid until around 10 a.m. the folowing day, And then another couple hours later the next day, and so on and so forth. Until it's too late to lay on a particular day, and she starts thr cycle over again.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It takes roughly 25 to 26 hours for a hen to lay an egg, so if a hen lays an egg tomorrow morning at 8 AM, it's likely going to be closer to 9 AM the next day. That pattern will continue, getting an hour later each day until it gets too late in the evening to lay. When that happens a hen will usually skip that day and lay the next day.

Sorry Linda. Didn't mean to repeat you, trying to multi task here and failing miserably.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ha! No failure - and repetition just reinforces the information.
    [​IMG]

7. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    My hens have just started laying this month. Out of six, I am getting only two eggs a day and usually in the late afternoon. I'm not sure who is laying but pretty sure that not all of them are laying yet. They are five months old Black and Blue Orpingtons. Several have been huge double yokers, the rest have been in the range from small to medium. Pretty sure the size will get better. The quality is great hard shells thick membrane, beautiful almost orange yokes:cd:love

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Baby Girl goes in the nest box about 12 pm, and by 12:30 a lovely egg. This will continue for 5 - 6 days, they she takes a day off.
    Her next egg has been laid at about 8:30 am, then a couple days later she is back to the 12:30 cycle again, till day 6, then another brake.

Now yesterday, I went out after dropping the kids off at school, there was her egg. Went out that afternoon to give treats, and there was a second egg. For the last two days, I have been getting two eggs a day. My other BR (Fiesta) has finally started laying too. [​IMG]

Am waiting to see how many she will lay, till she takes a day off. [​IMG]

Have another BR who is catching up to her sisters in red waddle & comb size, but is not been pestered by Owl our roo.

I don't know how the maturity thing works, but Owl was pestering Fiesta about a week before we started getting eggs, so when eggs arrived, I thought they were hers. Until I saw Baby Girl on the nest for egg #3, So I have been waiting and waiting for Fiesta to catch-up to her sister. Fiesta is our biggest hen.

9. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thanks for the egg info. These chicks are really nice pets and a very interresting hobby.

10. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    mine do! well only 2 out of the whole flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by