1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do chickens yawn?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mogli, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

i see my chickens strech out there necks and open there mouth at the same time it looks like the taking a big gulp of air i think thats a yawn idk someone told me yes chickens do yawn is it true

2. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Yep they yawn especially when they are chicks. Here is one of mine yawning as a chick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] But you have to look out because that can also mean "I'm thirsty!". Mine will do something similar to yawning when they're hot.

3. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

hello brittany im mitch them chickies are cuties little fuzz balls haha i ddnt know that also ment they were thirsty huh i learned something new today lol i didnt know chickens get diarria in the winter too i know they have it alot in the summer cause its a way to cool themselves down inside when its hot out

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    They also do that motion to rearrange food in their crops, if I am not mistaken. So it is not always a yawn.

This "diarrhea" you're talking about- is it true diarrhea? Or do you mean the cecal poop, which is dark brown, runny, and very smelly? Cecal poop is normal and happens approximately every 7-10 (I think) poops. There's a picture chart somewhere that shows the range of normal and abnormal poop- not sure if it's on BYC or elsewhere on the internet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    keep an eye on them, frequent yawning could be a sign of gapeworm

7. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    I was wondering about this also. Now I know that they do! [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They also yawn as preparation for increased activity. Examples I have noted include getting up from day roost to forage and just before a planned flight (part of "prelaunch" sequence from roost). Yawning also tends to accompany stretching.

9. plund

plund Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by