do chicks 12 days old need water and food at night .... with mummy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bazjo, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bazjo

bazjo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    I have tonight for the first time left the top box of the coop open and the food and water down the bottom of the ramp ,
    Mum and one chick in the nesting box ............... the chick is 12 days old and can get up and down the ramp now ...........
    they settle in and do they stay there til morning .......... when I get up at around 6 am they in the past 12 days have had the water and food up the top and it has been closed off
    and they are usually up scratching around in the top box ........... so I assume they will now go down to the food and water early in the morning ??? as they can get out and down to the food and water on the ground level ........... does the chick need water really close or not ............. it is at the bottom of the ramp probably 3ft away and up 1 ft .................. temp is getting down to 15 degrees celcius and was 32 degrees celcius today ........... they are on our verandah still ..........??? Hope I am doing what is right ...........??????

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I leave water in my coop, but not food (I always have a mouse problem when I leave it in there). But if you don't have that problem, then sure- leave it in there. The chickens won't eat or drink at night, since they don't see well enough in the dark to find it. But they will look for it first thing in the morning. I do leave food and water in my outside brooding hutch at all times when I have chicks in there, but that's mostly because 1) I'm too lazy to remove it every night, and 2) I like to sleep in in the mornings. My chooks in the coop can find tidbits to eat if they scratch through the shavings on the dirt floor, which is a luxury my chicks in the hutch don't have. So- I guess the answer to your question is to do whatever you think is best and easiest for you. Good luck!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sorry- double post

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The hen will find the water and feed and lead the chick to it. You`re doing fine........Pop

5. bazjo

bazjo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    thanks ..... I am stressing that I have taken it out and they may need it at night but if they don`t eat or drink at night they will find their way down in the morning I hope ........... I too normally like a sleep in but since the chick has been born I am up ........... early to see if all is okay .............. sun rises here at around 10 to 5am so they should be up when I get up at 6 am .............. cheers : )

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] TO THE BYC

Chickens have very poor eye sight. They do not see in the dark at all. Forget the food and water and they can make it but leave them alone when they are in the brooder making [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bazjo

bazjo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]', '');
    Mum and chick were in the bottom of the cage when I woke and all is well eating and drinking ............ so next step is to move them off the verandah ........ next week ........ its been hot here so the verandah gives shelter from heat and storms ............ for now ...... chick (Nando) has tail feathers ......... and growing fast ....... have let mum out of the cage for short periods as there are too many butcher birds here and it would be snapped up in a second ............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by