1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chicks always chirp inside the egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mattsom1981, Oct 11, 2015.

1. mattsom1981

mattsom1981 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    Somerset England
    I ask this question because Im at the end of day 18 and ive heard nothing from my Silkie Bantam eggs. I dont have a real egg candler, but I held a torch up to them around day 9 and I could see what looked like lots of blood vessles and the eggs looked quite dark. When I "candled" them again on day 16 the eggs were completely dark except for the air cells at the end. So im guessing something has or had grown here but im just not sure if anything going to pop out on tuesday morning :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like they're progressing.
    I don't know if every embryo chirps, but many do.

3. mattsom1981

Sep 18, 2015
    Somerset England
    Thanks for your message ChickenCanoe. I was sat watching them this afternoon, and would you belive it? the eggs started rockin 'n' cheeping!!

4. mattsom1981

Sep 18, 2015
    Somerset England
    One thing though! Ive just noticed I forgot to put the water gaurd on, is it ok to lift the top quickly to put it on? thanks!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If there are no external pips, you can probably get away with it. You may want to mist when you do.

6. mattsom1981

Sep 18, 2015
    Somerset England
    Cool, well I couldnt see any so I wipped it off and on again in a flash. The temperature hasnt dropped at all, obviously humidity will have but hopefully it will build up again by the morning.

7. mattsom1981

Sep 18, 2015
    Somerset England
    So incase anyones interested, Im pleased to report both of my Silkie Bantams hatched with no issue [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute!

9. mattsom1981

Sep 18, 2015
    Somerset England
    Thanks PerfectPlumage, I will try to get some better picks tommorow - they are super fluffy now!

10. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Your welcome! I love silkies, they're just so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by