DO CHICKS AND ROOSTERS MIX?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazysilkychick, May 6, 2008.

1. crazysilkychick

crazysilkychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi
    I have a broody hen sat on her eggs - she is in a house with two other hens and a rooster,
    should we move her and the eggs to another house to keep them safe? if yes when? also will moving them disturb the prosess?

THANKS
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would put them in a section all their own so the chicks will get the right food intake, chick starter/grower, the hen can eat this just fine...When they start getting older let them roam out with the others and see how it goes, my roosters never bother the chicks, mamma hen would take care of them if they did........If they free range it should all work out...

I move my broodies at night when they are more calm...the nest and her into a wire dog crate with food and water...

3. Hi!
    To keep the eggs safe and secure, the broody needs to moved to a place where the other hens can't access the nest {something about a broody's nest seems to entice other hens (here) and that is a 'must lay-in' space}, unless it it an especially aggressive broody (which is good) and the broody screams and pecks when any intruder (other hens or me) breaches her 'zone'.
    In the process of defending her nest, often eggs are broken (the hen eats the the ruined eggs --- more protein) and the nest is kept clean.

Good luck with your eggs!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by