Do chicks form friendships?

chickenchichi

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
McDonough, GA

I have a two week old Polish chick and a week-and-a-half old Easter Egger in my feathered family of 8 who are absolutely inseparable. We bought them two days earlier than the 6 others, so they had the brooder to themselves at this time. Now that the brooder is full, Henrietta the Polish and Artist the EE are still attached at the hip. They eat together, they drink together, they nap together, and they follow each other around CONSTANTLY. If you pick up one, the other will peep loudly looking for her missing sister. It's the most adorable thing I've ever seen. Do chicks this young form friendships or attachments with each other?

Brooder bonds are usually set for life. They are crucial for emotional development, and determine how self confident a chicken will be, and how well it will be able to cope with the pecking order.

This is why trying to raise a single chick is so cruel and damaging. Your chicks are a perfect example of why a chick needs a buddy.

Brooder bonds are usually set for life. They are crucial for emotional development, and determine how self confident a chicken will be, and how well it will be able to cope with the pecking order.

This is why trying to raise a single chick is so cruel and damaging. Your chicks are a perfect example of why a chick needs a buddy.

Okay great!! That makes me glad we have such a lively brooder. Also, your advice on how to deal with pecking worked wonders, I have no problems from my bully Polish chick anymore. I'd even go so far as to say she is a model chick now!

Back
Top Bottom