Do chicks get bored? LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sassychiken, Oct 16, 2009.

1. sassychiken

sassychiken Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Coastal Bend
    I find my new babies wonderfully entertaining but do they get bored? Should I toss a stick or something in there for them to play with? Who knew I would become concerned about my chickies psychological wellbeing, hahahahaha... [​IMG]

Also, when can I get them treats (three days old and I want to give them treats, these are going to be SPOILED chicks!) But they were SO good last night, they are such soft spoken peepers [​IMG]

2. buddy#2

buddy#2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Perry County, PA
    They can get bored. Throw in a handfull of grass or some bugs. Anything that would simulate them being in the yard would be fine. Could put a stick in for something to climb on.

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Maybe play with them everyday?

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    You could give them some chopped hard boiled egg as a treat.

5. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I know this sounds crazy and I don't know if you have enough space, but I gave my chicks a sandbox. They absolutely love it. They scratch in it and take dust baths. DH built me the best brooder ever! This is the half with my almost 4 week olds in it.
    [​IMG]
    The other half has my Momma Silkie and her seven babies!
    [​IMG]
    Oh and if you want them to have entertainment, as well as yourself throw in a cricket! It's so much fun. You can catch them or buy them at your local pet store. Oh and added bonus- the sand will work as grit for them, if you give them treats. Hope this is helpful!

6. mygirls55

mygirls55 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    I have a 2 week old chick in the house. Let the cochin set, as she was broody....only gave her 2 eggs to set. One hatched, one didnt.
    The chick thinks my yorkie is its mamma. It follows maggie all over the house. The chick is an orphington, and I think it is gonna be a roo.....[​IMG] I cant put this little guy in a pot when its older, as I have made it my little pet, and it gives me many laughs watching its antics. Would like to give it away. Hopefully I will have a taker. I thinks its a roo, because it has little lighter dots on both legs where the spurs will come when it is older.[​IMG]
    How do you post pictures?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    some hens have tiny spurs too. That will not give you a clue. You will have to wait and check for the feather pattern and wattles and comb. I hope its a hen and you can keep it. It sounds precious. I love my orps. I have 5 at this time. Gloria Jean

8. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:WELCOME TO BYC!!!

9. mygirls55

mygirls55 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Well....for its sake, I hope its a hen also. I thought I was onto something with the little dot on the leg....maybe not though. LOL
    Hope my picture of my yorkie and chick gets posted with this message??? If not....try try again.

10. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    somehow your pic didn't post. Copy and paste the link and see if it works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by