1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do chicks have growth spurts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greytmommy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    like babies? Where they sleep a lot more for a day or two...making you worry they are sickly...then perk up & then act fine?

my silkie has done that before. Slept a lot, we were worried she was circling the drain then eas fine. Actually, a few different birds have done it. My black silkie is acting like this again. Sleeping a lot, & not as active as before. But eating drinking, ect.

so I was wondering if chicks have growth spurts.

and if NOT any more tips for chicks that are extra sleepy??

2. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I only have experience with my current 3 chicks. But yeah it seems like they do sleep a lot and then grow! Actually, they just did it a couple days ago.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Everyday is a growth spurt! I didn't realize how big they actually got until I brought home Maple. They doubled in size in one week! Maple is just a little thing. She sleeps much more then the others. However, she is 1-1.5 weeks younger then the rest of the flock.

4. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky
    Our chics have spells like that as well, when they lay and sleep more than at other times.. then some days it seems like they are on from sunrise to sunset.. I don't know a lot about them but I would think its normal, all ours are doing great [​IMG]) Goodluck!

- Gina & Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by