Do chicks like to just "cook" under a heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brookejre, Feb 21, 2013.

1. brookejre

brookejre Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    My chicks are 3 week old Blue Copper Marans. They seem to like just hanging out under the heat lamp and then they start panting with their mouths open. There is plenty of space for them to escape the lamp but they just seem to like laying under it and panting. Is this normal? Should raise the lamp? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Check the tempature and raise the lamp if they are panting! They can dehydrate and die. If it was me I'd check the temp, raise the lamp, then check the temp again.Make sure they don't get too cold but if they are panting they are too hot. Watch the behavior after you raise the light. Listen to the chirps. Hopefully raising should help you out. Newborn chicks should be at around 95 degrees Decreasing the temp by 5 each week.of course watch the behavior for clues. Hope this helps out!

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    At 3 weeks Marans shouldn't need that much heat at all. Are u using a 250 watt bulb? By.three weeks in the winter I am usually down to an 85 watt red flood light. Most of the time I get away with just using it, when they are in a Rubbermaid tote.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A long a they have a cool area to move to if they want, and free access to water, chicks are very unlikely to overheat themselves. At 3 weeks the temp under the heat lamp should be around 75 degrees, you can adjust the height of the lamp and the wattage to get the right temp.

5. brookejre

brookejre Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks everyone, I have moved the 250 watt light higher up. They still seem to like sitting in the heat, but they're not panting anymore. I think I have two chicks that are 3 weeks and 4 little ones maybe 2 weeks old. Its the 3 week olds that were panting.
    Thanks again!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I second the idea of lowering the wattage and saving your electric bill. At 2-3 weeks, it is very, very unlikely they need the power of a 250. A 125 watt or even less, does them just fine at this age. The electric meter spins with those 250's!!!! Yikes.

7. jobouss

jobouss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Tupelo, MS
    I found a "lamp dimmer" at lowes to help regulate the temp. It plugs into the outlet and then you plug you light on the back side. There is a slide dimmer attached to the cord. It was around 10 dollars.

1 person likes this.
  8. dblred0728

dblred0728 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    Central Mississippi
    That's a great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by