Do chicks lose feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sovia, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I have a flock of 11-week old chicks. Everything has gone great until this past week when I noticed a lot of feathers around the coop and run areas. I have been feeding Purina Sunfresh (available to them 24/7), all my produce scraps (excluding those that are toxic to them), and cooked egg yolks (my houseguests won't eat them so I feed them to the chicks). Could I be causing some type of deficiency in them by allowing them to have "treats" every day? Is it normal for chicks to lose feathers?

Just to clarify, I am feeding Purina Start & Grow SunFresh!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They are just going through another molt. Chicks do this several times as they grow before getting their adult feathers. Some do it a little at a time and sometimes it will look someone poured out a feather pillow.

Matt

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I have a 9-week old banty & 3 5-week old medium-sized chicks. I've noticed that the banty loses a lot more feathers than do the others, so just figured that it's normal.

I can't imagine the pile o' feathers we're gonna have at molting time!
    [​IMG]

4. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Okay, I feel a little better now. I started to panic last night when I was reading a chicken book (yes, I am a novice - can you tell?[​IMG]) and it talked about mites or cannibalism. Yikes! Anyhow, thanks for your replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by