do chicks molt?

DCortez

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
First time with new chicks.

Have some new chicks, a week or two old, and noticed a couple are starting to "molt". Can't see any lice or creepy crawly stuff on them.

Feeding Purina Start and Grow, medicated, added chick grit, and keep a bowl of plain yogurt out for them.

The heat lamp is on 24/7

Last edited:
They transform from fluffy chick to feathered teen to beautiful adult. They do a mini molt at about 8 months but as little fluffy chicks no they do not molt.

How old are the chicks? Could it be they are just getting the first feathers in?

Here are a few pics of one chick, sorry about the poor quality.

I think they were about a week old when I got them, I've had them for a week.

Last edited:
Yes, they'll do 3 or 4 molts until they get their adult feathers. Unlike when some adult birds molt, you tend not to see any bald patches on chicks as the newer feathers are pushing up and replacing the older ones as they grow.

Last edited:
Black star would be black and comet are reddish. In the third pic I am seeing the starts of the real feathers coming in. The patches on the back are harder to decipher. Is there any new little tiny feathers starting or is it just naked? Is anyone picking on anyone else?

Can't really see any new feathers forming on some of the bald spot, do see the shiny on the neck. Chicks seem to be getting along well, no pecking, and have plenty of space.

As to the breed, I guess I have Black Star and Red Comet. Got some of each but couldn't remember if they called them stars or comets, but now know :)

Back
Top Bottom