Do chicks moult at all?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kurui, Mar 7, 2015.

1. kurui

kurui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    This is my first time raising chickens, so I welcome any advice! Thanks to this forum I found out the original three babies I brought home were all boys instead of the one boy and two girls I thought I had... thankfully we were able to swap the two extra boys for two girls.

Anyway- I've noticed a few wing feathers in the brooder that seem to have been moulted, so I'm wondering if young chickens moult, and if so, just how different my babies will look like when they're all grown up- I was wondering if it's like cockatiels and they have a first set of feathers and then a first adult set? I suppose the alternative is that they're getting yanked out but there was no blood in the shafts and they look just like my cockatiel's moulted feathers, but with really long shafts.

Photos! Here is my boy Doodledoo and (introducing!) my girls Cecille and Bebe. Bebe is smaller than the other two but doesn't seem to have realised :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poor Doodledoo had his comb pecked by one of his brothers when he was little, so it has a mini spike instead of the full-sized one second from the right in this picture. Will it grow to be an equal size with the others as he grows up, or will he bear his war wound forever?

[​IMG]

It's a bit hard to see in this picture, but the girls have different colour legs to Mr. Doodle- his legs are a very obvious yellow, and theirs are much paler. The girls have black on their beaks, whereas his is almost entirely yellow.

[​IMG]

Bebe having a snooze on Doodledoo's back, aww. Here you can see Cecille's back, wing and tail feathers better- overall she and Bebe have a lot more grey/black than their brother.

[​IMG]

(And a bonus, look! my baby boy only two weeks ago! Isn't he sweet? I can't believe how quickly they grow!)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. kurui

kurui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here are two of the feathers I found- they look like they just fell out naturally...

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    es, young chicks go through several molts, I forget how many, as they grow. Mary

4. kurui

kurui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    That's great to know, thank you!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They go thru 3-4 'molts' before 1 year old...should have their adult coloring by 6-8 months I think.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. kurui

kurui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Oh wow, that many? Still anyone's guess how much of their current colouring they'll keep then :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by