Do chicks stop chirping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by e72071, Feb 3, 2017.

1. e72071

e72071 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    So we got our chicks Yesterday. When we got them the only time the stopped chirping was when they slept. Today I got home from work and they were silent. Once they realized I was there they were chirping but stopped again.

My question is, is it normal for them not to chirp constantly?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Depends. Chicks under heat lamps tend to be very noisy. Chicks brooded with alternative heat sources tend to be more calm and quiet.

3. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Interesting to know. Thank you. But I think 1 of my chicks may be sick. It doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I even brought it to her again and nothing. Any thoughts?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Did you dip the beak in the water?

5. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Yes. When we first got them we did that with every bird and with the food. It seems tiny compared to the others. She just lays there and doesn't move but she's not dead. I'm afraid she isn't going to make it. [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It happens. Even when you do everything right. Shipping is stressful on them, and some just aren't strong enough to survive.

7. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    I was thinking that too. We actually lost 3 just from the travel and if this one doesn't survive this will be 4. Poor little things.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s pretty normal for mine to be quiet when I’m not around but when I show up they start chirping and get active. This happens when they are still in the incubator as well as in my brooder under the heat lamp.

To give that chick a better chance, you might try feeding it some energy. Some people use electrolytes, but I use hummingbird liquid. Some people use sugar water. I take a medicine dropped and put a drop on the tip of the chick’s beak. Don’t stick it down the throat as you can drown the chick. Just a drop on the tip of the beak to see if it will drink it, then give it some more.

One, you are hydrating it, getting moisture in it. But more importantly you are getting energy into it. This may make it feel strong enough to eat and drink on its own.

With those losses, it sounds like yours had a rough shipment. Some chicks aren’t meant to make it for various reasons, but a little extra care to the ones that made it this far won’t hurt.

Good luck!

9. Silver 4 Health

Silver 4 Health New Egg

Feb 2, 2017
    Mobile, AL
    Sorry to hear one of your babies is not doing well...follow the good advice given by RidgeRunner.

hirping is a normal thing and is a healthy sign as noted by others. I wanted to point out that chirping can also occur when they are cold or hot. Baby chicks can't hardly regulate their body temperatures with Mama hen to help...hence we provide artificial heat. Below is some info we teach to our club member regarding temperature.

I still recommend following the 5 degree per week program...regardless of feathering. Some chicks feather quicker than others...but that doesn't mean they can effectively regulate their body temperature. By providing them with a heat source of 95 degrees for the first week of life and drop that by 5 degrees each week until the provided heat is at least 10 degrees below the ambient temperature is just a safe and natural progression. This also slowly acclimates them the same way they would if Mama hen was there to provide warmth and wind protection.

Week 1, 95 degrees
    Week 2, 90 degrees
    Week 3, 85 degrees
    Week 4, 80 degrees
    Week 5, 75 degrees
    Week 6, 70 degrees
    Week 7, 65 degrees
    Week 8, 60 degrees
    Week 9, 55 degrees
    Week 10, 50 degrees

10. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    We are following that logic for temperature. For the sugar water, how much sugar to water do you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by