1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chicks take dust baths?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by congdon476, Jan 12, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I don't think I've found this anywhere in my reading yet (and I'm addicted to these boards)... but do I need to provide my chick brooder with a dusting area for baths? I don't know what age the birds will start this behavior.

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Mine try to in the wood chips is way to cute!

3. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    My black marans chick loves to try to dust bathe in the wood chips also. Really very funny to watch. She will make a bowl in the chips and everything... [​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You bet! When they turned a few weeks old we put a pan (like a pie tin) of fine dirt, sand, and DE in their brooder. TOO CUTE!

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    No, you don't need to provide an area for them. They will just use the wood chips and "dust bathe". It is so fun to watch. Lots of "free" entertainment when raising chickens! Have fun!

7. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Thanks guys! And the little videos are a hoot. FREE is always a good thing in entertainment.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here's one of the EE boys as a chick bathing under their hangin waterer:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/TnWren/?action=view&current=Captured2004-5-100006.flv

Once they were outside and older, they'll start sunbathing. First time I saw that I was pretty sure I had several dead chickens on my hands and went into panic mode. I walked into the run and all all jumped up at once. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack and they all just looked at me like, "And what's your problem!!!". [​IMG]

Dawn

9. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    We had little "outings" Sometimes we had short chaperoned field trips outside. Other times we kept them within the sunroom and provided them a big tub with dirt and uprooted grass.

10. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I live in Florida and lots of sand my pens have pine shavings and I sprinkled with DE and they dust themselves..they have this hole dug out under the hanging water too, fun to watch them..between the sand and De and pine shavings they are pretty dry in there pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by