1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Chicks Usually Lay on Their Sides?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spiffwilkie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Today I noticed a couple of our chicks laying on their side. They don't seem to be lethargic or sick, and they still run around like normal. When I say they lay on their side, I don't mean that they completely flop over, they sort of just look like they're lounging a bit.

1 person likes this.
  2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup, they just flop down were they are when they're tired, just like little kids. When I first had chicks I had a few that slept on their backs in the pine shavings with their little feet in the air--first time I saw it I was sure they were dead. Wait until they grow up. get outside and dust bathe in the sun.

3. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Mine do it all the time, especially in the sun! One was sitting on my leg and started nodding out & rolling on her side. It was funny!

4. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Good. I just hadn't seen them do that before. They are funny to watch, though. Quite the narcoleptic little critter. It's funny to watch them pecking away and then do a faceplant in the feed dish.

1 person likes this.
  5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Thats the dead chick look so they can scare us humans to death. I think they laugh at us when we freak out. [​IMG]

6. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Lol! Mine are doing the dead chick thing too. They stand there eating, then a second later they are asleep, head bobbing.

7. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have one girl that does this too. First time I walked out and saw her I thought she was hurt, but nope just relaxing!!

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] We have to get a "dead chick" sticky. I don't know anyone who was not in a panic the first time they saw this.

9. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

My son's ferret (Harry Houdini) used to do this........he'd be running around like crazy.....then all of a sudden he'd flop to the floor and go to sleep.... looking dead. My son & I went through several scary times, until we learned this was the way of a young ferret.
    I remember telling my Dad about his grandson's ferret's behavior........he just smiled his quiet smile and said " you were the same way when you were a toddler". (grin......we're all connected)

During my first hatch, when the bitties, who'd been running around peeping, all of a sudden were stretched out on the floor of the bator, looking dead, I remember my son's ferret and my Dad's words.
    Wisdom and experience comes from many places. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    Dont be worried mine did too.

jake

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by