Do chicks with mommas need heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Sep 7, 2010.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Please watch this video of our 2 momma hens caring for 2 chicks. Today there are 3 chicks, and the new guy is not Silkie, he is smooth. The chicks frequently return to the warmth of their mommas, and sleep overnite tucked into their mommas. But during the day they are BUSY little chicks! The overnite temp of their coop is probably 50-60 degrees. Do you think we need to plug in the heat lamp for overnite while the chicks are with their mommas?

ooh, I will try to embed the above video, here:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Mommas are really good heaters... I don't think it's cold enough for a heat lamp yet...

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    No need for heat lamp if everyone can get to a momma hen.

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:This is the same thing dear husband said, but we wanted to make sure. Our Storey's book on chickens doesn't cover momma'd chicks, only brooder box chicks.

Have you ever held a hot momma and her chicks on your lap? Mmmmmmm nice.........................so much lovin in a cupful o'fluff....................... [​IMG]

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Thank you! This is reassuring. I am glad I have 2 mommas sharing the duty with love and joy.

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    6chickens in St. Charles :

Quote:Thank you! This is reassuring. I am glad I have 2 mommas sharing the duty with love and joy.

Well, you are fine. Those little guys are in good hands or under good feathers.... [​IMG]

7. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Best thing I had when we got baby chicks was give them to our broody mama... We lost one to wry neck the second week, but our little one (almost 6 weeks) has done so well with her adopted mama. No stress of too hot, too cold. They just took to roosting together (chick under belly) at night. I think this is the only way I'll do chicks again.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I have always preferred to provide a heat lamp in an accessible location, even if there was a broody hen, except in the hottest of summer weather. Sometimes after the chicks are a few days old, the mama won't let her under them as much during the day. Yes, they've been doing this for thousands of years, but some birds are not as good of mamas as others. I prefer to minimize lost birds due to things that are so easy to avoid. So, I keep at least a small area warm.

I tend to consider my birds as pets though, whether I have 10 or 50...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by