do cochin and other fluffly breeds need help mating??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jan 27, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i was looking at my cochins and the males butt is FFFLLLUUUFFLYY, then looking at the female...her butt is FLUFFIER!!! [​IMG] sooo can they mate naturally??? they are 7 month and no eggs yet so idk if they are mating or not [​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    There have been known fertility problems with this breed for exactly this reason. They'll still have a go though. If they're entirely too fluffy and you don't see any indications of fertility in the eggs, you might want to give them all a trim. [​IMG]

ETA: There doesn't need to be any mating for your hen to lay eggs. She's going to do that with or without a rooster....my guess is any day now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  3. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Cochins do not start laying eggs until 9 months of age, at least.
    So you still have at least 2 months before you start seeing a few eggs.
    All of ours seem to maye just fine, fluffy butts and all [​IMG]

And, hens lay eggs without the aid of roos.
    The hen that lay commercialy produced eggs, have never seen a roo.

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    oh ya i know that, but i was just saying that i cant check fetilaty without an eggs [​IMG]

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    There is a way to make them make naturally. Take some scissory and cut the feathers out from around there vent. I usually do it in summer ( winter is sooo cold i feell bad).
    [​IMG]

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:You are also not likely to see any mating going on yet either, as they are not mature yet. Cochins are one of the slowest maturing chickens.

7. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:You are also not likely to see any mating going on yet either, as they are not mature yet. Cochins are one of the slowest maturing chickens.

so i've heard [​IMG]

8. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have 2 big fluffy standard size cochins, and their near 9 months old, and they haven't laid yet. I have heard of breeders plucking feather off near the vent area. But, pluck one feather at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by