1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Cochin Roosters Crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mama hen, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mama hen

mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I have a 5 month old Cochin Rooster that has not yet crowed! Will he ever crow or could he just be late bloomer? He's not very "manly" and often runs inside the chicken coop shaking when something scares him. He was really picked on by the rest of the flock when they were all chicks. He's just funny though and keeps us guessing. There is no doubt he's a rooster. He's had a bright red comb and wattle from a young age with long flowing tail feathers.

2. mama hen

Mar 23, 2012
    Reno, NV
    Or do they just crow when they are older? I have another rooster that started crowing at 9 weeks..............

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If there is another rooster that is dominating him he will be very reluctant to crow. Such domination can actually result in decreased testosterone levels.

4. Fettfarm

Fettfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    I don't know why yours isn't crowing but my cochin is the Alpha and he keeps 3 other roosters in line. I have noticed the other boys are more vocal than Zulu- my feather footed black warrior rooster- protector of the flock! But he does crow when he feels like it.

5. mama hen

Mar 23, 2012
    Reno, NV
    The other rooster is about 5 weeks younger and every once in a while they have a stare down but the other rooster will back down (the cochin is quite a bit bigger). He used to get picked on by the girls but now he pecks back at them. Loud noises are what sends him running for the coop shaking (like the neighbors lawnmower or the dogs barking).

I was wondering if this is due to his breed or just a personality thing.

6. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    My Cochin rooster is 12 weeks. He's just as big as my 5 month old pullets, but he runs from them and is a little scared of them. I haven't seen him show any "rooster like" behavior. I've had people tell me that their Cochin roosters crowed at 8 weeks, so I don't know.

[​IMG]
    Mellow Yellow- 12 weeks

7. MadHens

MadHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    RI
    I had a cochin rooster that I gave away when he was 14 weeks old. He did not have a full crow at that time, but he was starting to make some loud noises in the coop at 6:00 a.m. It was more like a "caw" than anything else, but it was loud. Since I didn't want to alienate my neighbors, I rehomed him before he got his full "cock-a-doodle-doo."

8. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I had 2 bantam cochin roosters and a bantam OEGB rooster that are all the same age. The OEGB is the noisy one. He's been crowing since he was about 7 weeks old and he crows ALL day long. As they grew up, one cochin took charge of the flock and he crowed, but not very often. The 2nd cochin never crowed. Then when the flock leader was killed, the 2nd cochin stepped up and took his place. Now, he does crow, but still not often.

9. conchopearl

conchopearl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I was just given a Cochin rooster yesterday. He is 6 months old and won't shut up lol. He has a full loud crow at 5 A.M. this morning . I have him in the house right now lol. I am already in love with that bird. He is beautiful. I had never seen one before. But yes, judging by my bird Cochins do crow. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. springchicken69

springchicken69 Just Hatched

May 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by