Do Cochins grow slower then other breeds of chickens? Photos included

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wooden_Pony, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just curious because my Buff O and Americana are growing and feathering out much faster then my two standard Blue Cochins. I know that my Blues are a few day younger but would that make such a big difference??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Beautiful babies!

Our Bantam Mottled Cochins were smaller and feathered out later then the rest of our flock for quite some time. They are now 17 weeks old and looking great!

Dawn

3. Wooden_Pony

Beautiful babies!

Thanks Dawn!! I keep wondering if I got Bantams instead of Standard by the way the Cochins look?

Now I am even more confused [​IMG]

Lisa​

4. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm afraid i cant answer your question but i just wanted to say how gorgeous your babies are and what a fantastic setting for some photos!! [​IMG]

5. Wooden_Pony

Quote:Thanks!

That is the "Chick Nursery" it works great for them they can go outside and they are pretty much hidden under the plants in that flower bed.

I use our portable puppy pen as the fence. I did have to add chicken wire to the puppy pen as the holes are to big and they could get out. They will stay in there until they start breaking my plants! [​IMG]

6. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I have found that my standard cochins did feather out slower. They were much bigger than the silkies of course, but they did take longer to grow into there full size. while the silkies are just about full size at 6-7 months the cochins take almost a full year to get to full size. So hang in there! [​IMG] JEN

standard cochin chick and silkie chick the same age:
    [​IMG]

Here this guy is now at about 8 months (and still growing):
    [​IMG]

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have approx. 100 standard black/partridge cochins from one year and less. They DO grow s l o w. It even states on mcmurray I think that they are "slow to mature". At any rate, don't give up on them because when they do finish growing they will be HUGE.

8. Wooden_Pony

Thanks jenlynn4 and KristenH for the encouragment and the help!!! [​IMG]

The last Cochin I had was when I was a child so I do not remember the growth time for her! I just remember lugging her around with me everywhere!

They were much bigger than the silkies of course, but they did take longer to grow into there full size.

After seeing your picture Jen of the Silkie and Standard together I no longer doubt that I do have the Standards that I ordered.

SUPER CUTE chick picture!!! BEAUTIFUL at 8 months as well!!! [​IMG]

I have approx. 100 standard black/partridge cochins from one year and less. They DO grow s l o w.

Kristen you are SO lucky to be able to have that may chickens!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. blackmilly

blackmilly New Egg

Apr 29, 2011
    I was begining to wonder about my standard cochin, I still hvae no clue what color she will be. Her neck feathers are coming in to be opposite of a silver laced. They are black with a white edge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by