do cochins have spurs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LCwilson, Dec 31, 2009.

1. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    i know silkies dont. but im not sure about cochins. ive never seen them but maybe there so fluffy u cant see them. not sure. dumb question i know but just curious.

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have wicked little sharp ones that are curved.

3. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    ok thanks.

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Umm, I have a Silkie Roo that does have spurs, about an inch long but rounded ends, not pointy or sharp. Is that a DQ? [​IMG]

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    My cochins do NOT have spurs of any kind... They are lovely blue and fluffy w/o any "mean bones" [​IMG]

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:No it's not a DQ (pointed or rounded), all roosters have spurs if you give them time enough to grow some. I have never heard of a spurless breed, if there is such a thing, I sure would like to hear about it!

7. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Our cochin roo is getting his spurs. He is 1 year old, and they are still small, but one can certainly see that they will be impressive someday!

8. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    i have never seen a purebred silkie rooster with spurs. if you have one that is FULL BLOODED SILKIE let me know. i have one and hes i think 3-5 years old and he doesnt have any spurs. doesnt even look like he will be getting them. correct me if im wrong. thanks. cole.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:All my breeder quality silkies have spurs, they are just hid in all the foot fuz. You have to actually catch them and feel for them, but they are there.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    ALL my silkie males and cochin males have had spurs. They usually develop sometime after the bird's first birthday, although you may see them starting to grow a bit before that. I generally remove about 2" spurs from each cock annually; a few grow their spurs faster than that.

Some have cylindrical spurs with pointy tips, some have blade shaped spurs with sharp tips; some are entirely rounded. I have had a couple whose spurs grow in circles.

If the spur is broken off it will sometimes not regrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by