1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do cochins not lay well during fall/winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allieloveschickens, Oct 21, 2011.

1. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi All,

I have a flock of five hens including one standard size blue cochin, two weeks ago she stopped laying completely. The others girls are all laying just fine, but she does not even go to her nest spot anymore. For those who raise cochins or have a lot of experience with them- do they normally stop laying in the fall/winter? She and the others are all about 9-10 months old. The days have gotten shorter, but we have still had a lot of sunshine and warm weather here in San Diego. My last flock of BR's laid all through the fall & winter so I was hoping all my new girls would lay through as well- is this wishful thinking? Do you think my cochin will start laying again or will I have to wait until Spring? Thanks for your help!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Could they be going through molt? they won't lay till through with molt.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The breed isn't a power layer, laying only in spurts. It was used in the making of many other breeds. Laying isn't one of its strong traits,

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Good to know, well hopefully she will start up again soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by