Do cockeralls make " bok bok" noises too??? *updated pictures :D*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aubreynoramarie, Aug 30, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Silly question, I know. I'm just incrdibly curious about the strange noises that come from my girls. This is my first time owning chickens, so I am learning as I go... I have four girls ranging from 16 to 20 weeks old. A br, nhr, ee, and silkie. It just seems that especially as of late they make some very odd noises. There's the quiet " eeeeerrrrrrrrr" sound, then there is the really cute coo-ing noise and when I pick them up against their will they all bok bok as loud as they can.
    But this morning I heard the strangest sound of all coming from the pen. It almost sounded like a honking goose! For a second I though," no, that is not a crow! " and I'm still sure it wasn't, but it got me wondering if roosters make any noises besides crows? I'm almost 100 percent sure none of my gals are male, but who knows, haha

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    My hens make that noise when they are either ready to or have just laid an egg. Maybe your 20 weeker is getting ready to lay. Is her comb bright red?

My roo will mimic that sound sometimes when the hen really gets going. He makes all sorts of other sounds besides just crowing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Well my 20 week old is the silkie. I got her a month and a half ago and her comb was jet black but I have noticed that in the past three weeks her comb has started turning colors and now it's almost completely red, isn't that odd for asilkie? My other girls combs are starting to turn red and their faces are now pink, even my e. E. Has a pink comb finally. Oh how egg- citing! I'm gonna go hunting for an egg when I get home, I really hope that's what it was!

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    they do make all sorts of sounds, quite a dialog- my roosters even sing the egg song with the girls, and yes, they do honk sometimes too- as far as the silky goes- can you post pics? they are notrously hard to determine- but her is a pic of my silky pullet, and one of a silky roo i had-

[​IMG]
    Lucy, she has some red in her crest

[​IMG]this little guy was getting more and more red

5. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Chickens have more than 30 types of vocalizations.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    until i had chickens i never would have believed the variety!

7. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Of all of my breeds, the only one who honks is my silkie pullet. And it really is a honk - it sounds like a quiet goose. It's about the only sound I've heard her make. At this point, I can tell exactly which bird is making which sound, and how excited or ticked off they are (except my EEs, who all still sound alike to me) without having to even look at them, and there is only one honker. [​IMG] But without a picture, we can't tell your gender.

The only first-hand experience I have with crowing is with my WCBP rooster and my red cap hen. His is a true crow (loud and often), but started out strangled and hideous. Hers is a pretty good attempt, but after a month or two of doing it, it hasn't changed at all. It's still like listening to the two of them singing "Anything you can do, I can do better".

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Wow, great stuff. I'm positive my br is a girl from her color. My nhr hasn't really got a chance of being male either. My ee has to be a girl. I know most ee roos have some tail and saddle feathers comming in by now. It's just that darn silkie, lol. I got her at three months old and compared to the obvious males of the same age she was def a girl. They just make such funny noises that sometimes o
    I wonder what the he'll they're trying to say! I'm pretty sure the silkie is the one making the goose noises too, how odd...
    Anywhoo, I shall post some pics tonight, for the sake of showing off my beautiful ladies [​IMG]

9. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Quote:Chicken talk! yay! Mine make the eeeerrr noise when there is a predator nearby like a chicken hawk, owl, coyote, dog, or cat. The bok bok sound mine will make when they have found something yummy like a bug infestation under a rock! The coooing noise I get sometimes when I pick em up, or disturb them while they sleep. I'm not really sure if it's a bad thing or not yet, lol. You have some that are 20 weeks? The loud noise may just be their egg song! It's a very loud song they sing when they are getting ready to lay or have layed.! When you go out & try to pet them if they squat then they will be laying soon. [​IMG]

This is our little silky rooster! He is 4 months in this pic I believe, but may be 5. He started crowing a few days later. [​IMG] We thought he was a girl.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  10. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yikes! my girlie doesnt even have any waddles. i cant even see em, thats why im sure shes a she [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by