Do Columbian Wyandotte chicks look like Barred Rocks?

crazy4eggsJulie

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 15, 2009
We ordered several chicks from Ideal Poultry. They marked several look-alikes with colored markers on their heads so we could tell them apart. I was supposed to have 2 Columbian Wyandottes in the order. They happened to be one of the breeds they did not mark. The problem is that the invoice said that they also added barred rock males for warmth. So, I had 4 chicks that looked identical with a yellow head spot. One was so aggressive (pecking the crud out of everyone else's eyes) that I returned him to a local feed store! The other 3 are two weeks old now and ALL look like barred rocks to me. I called the hatchery to ask HOW MANY males they included (thinking maybe they left the Columbian Wyandottes off accidentally and added 4 barred rocks for warmth) but they said they do not keep track of the amount or even the breed they send extra for warmth. I say all this to say...CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF BABY COLUMBIAN WYANDOTTES LOOK JUST LIKE BABY BARRED ROCKS? They are mainly black with gray-white markings. From looking at the adults, I would think the CW's would be mainly white with some black....
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well when I bought mine, the barred rocks we mostly black and the columbian wyandottes were mostly white.

Last edited:
32923_dsc_0246.jpg

I dont know if this will help but here is a pic of a two week old barred rock

Awww man! That's what I was afraid of! Mine all look like the pic you posted! Bummer! I'll try to post a pic tomorrow!

Probably too late to be helpful, but all my columbians (The 2 I ordered and the two extras who they mysteriously included) looked like seagulls who went through a dryer. They were light grey with yellowish heads, and all their wing feathers grew in white or black-not barred. McMurry hatchery has good chick pics of many breeds, but I sympathize with not knowing what you've got. I got 4 extra chicks in my order and couldn't get it all straight for a month! I kept saying "well this LOOKS like the columbian, but I know I only ordered TWO so I must be wrong...." When we finally got an accurate count I laughed out loud.

Thanks! Finally someone with experience! Unfortunately, all 4 were BARRED ROCKS! I called the hatchery and even though the invoice says there were 2 CW's---they didn't have any and felt free to just add whatever they wanted! Needless to say, I was QUITE frustrated and now CANNOT FIND A HOME FOR THESE 3 baby barred rocks that I did not want and did not order.
sad.png

Thanks so much for the description!

I'm a newbie to chickens but all of your look Exactly like my sweet little Barred Rocks that are the same age as yours. Sorry but I think you have all BR's
hit.gif

Where do you live? If you are close (Texas) to me, I'd sure take them...
smile.png
I love my little Barred Rocks, lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom