Do combs pop up at 3.5 weeks in some breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ninabeast, May 9, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I ask the question because my Ruby (AKA Little Red) about whom I had questions a couple weeks ago when s/he feathered slowly, had a pink comb sprout up over night. I have a very bad feeling about this (we will not be keeping any roosters).

That said, she's a Production Red and our other two Production Reds have had a comb spurt too. Does this happen with pullets, and does it vary from breed to breed (I would think it would.)

I'll post a pic later; the little monsters are sleeping...

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    we need a pic

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:x2
    I had a copper marans that I KNEW was a boy. She was tall and gangly and looked like a raven (her name is Edgar, short for Edgar Allen Poe). [​IMG] She had a large comb all along, but it never deepened in color. She is now 11 weeks and has grown into her comb, which is still light pink and hardly visible now. Post a picture. I'm sure that someone will be able to tell. [​IMG]

4. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    N&MSchroeder :

Quote:x2
    I had a copper marans that I KNEW was a boy. She was tall and gangly and looked like a raven (her name is Edgar, short for Edgar Allen Poe). [​IMG] She had a large comb all along, but it never deepened in color. She is now 11 weeks and has grown into her comb, which is still light pink and hardly visible now. Post a picture. I'm sure that someone will be able to tell. [​IMG]

i love how u said boy but u kept saying SHE​

5. ninabeast

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I let them out for recess and got some pics.

Some backstory: Ruby/Rudy has always been one of the smallest of the 12 chicks, and was the last to get his/her feathers. That had me worried, but s/he has always been very small and round. S/he is certainly MUCH smaller than our other two Production Reds. The combs of the other two also got bigger and oranger in the last two days, but the change isn't as dramatic as with Ruby/Rudy. Maybe they're the same, though, and I just can't see them as well because the head feathers of the bigger two are starting to come in and is obscuring the larger comb?

I may be fussing over nothing here, but we can't keep a rooster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the comb of one of the other Production Reds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    I will say girl....

I am new to chickens too...so take my guess with that in mind [​IMG]

7. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Did you buy them as straight run or as sexed pullets. They look like possible roos to me but it is still too early to know for sure one way or the other. I think they could go either way.

8. ninabeast

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I bought them as sexed pullets, and I guess they're pretty good at sexing because roos are rare. Of course, that's coming from my sales lady, but I have developed a relationship with her and I think she would be straight with me. The other Red is the same, by the way, so...would all three be roos? That seems improbable.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never seen a comb that large in a chicken that small that didn't turn out to be a rooster.

But hey, I'm no expert!!!

[​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In single comb breeds the comb tends to pop up pretty quick, male or female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by