Do Cornish X rocks need roost?

lcsdday

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
I have two questions to post.
1) I am planning on raising 25 Cornish X rocks and was wondering if I need to build roosts for them to sleep on or is the floor just fine?
2) I have built my chicken coop in the middle of my vegetable garden and am planning on fencing it so that the chickens can be doing their thing on one side while growing my garden on the other and will switch sides the next year. Well my question is - have anyone tried using the electrified poultry netting, like the one from premire1, and does it work or will the birds just fly over them? The fence I’m looking at is 48” tall. Will clipping their wings help?
Thanks in advance. This will be my first year raising chickens.

Cornish do not roost.
I have never used electified netting, if its for the cornish you won't need it, they don't fly.
If its for another type of chicken they I would just suggest putting a covered run in, you will need that for protection from hawks anyway.
Mine can easily fly over an 8 foot fence, they fly up and land on the top of it and then jump over, its plastic and it has enough give that their feet can balance on it.
It depends how bad they want to get somewhere, I also have a 4 foot picket fence around a garden and they never go near it. When they were little they use to squeeze themselves between the pickets. Now they can't fit but they don't bother flying over. I wonder if the pickets deter them more than other types of fencing.

We've raised Corks the last two springs (25 and 40 birds), and will again this spring. The floor is fine. I don't think they could have gotten up on a roost, even if they wanted to.

My girl sleeps all by herself in a doghouse on a couple of inches of pine shavings, with a little Stall Dry mixed in. I used to put her in the coop with the others so she could sleep on the floor but she kept coming back out and going in her doghouse.

Back
Top Bottom